In observance of the 150th Anniversary of the American Civil War, the Kalamazoo Valley Museum has created a blog that features the letters of several soldiers from the Kalamazoo region. These letters provide unique perspectives on the lives of the men in the Union army as well as on the battles and skirmishes in which they fought. The men also voice their opinions on the causes and course of the war and their hopes for a safe and speedy conclusion to the fighting.
Read the letters of…
- Orville Harrison Dewaters of Oshtemo, 13th Regiment Michigan Infantry
- Joseph Dewaters, the uncle of Orville H., 13th Regiment Michigan Infantry
- Charles F. Cock of Charleston Township, 8th Regiment Michigan Infantry
- Chester Beebe, William Beebe, and Gideon Portman of Brady Twp., 19th Michigan Infantry
- Spencer F. McOmber of Kalamazoo, 7th Michigan Cavalry Regiment