Condolences to a Sister

This letter to Ann Dewaters was written by Zenas Rhoades on the same day that his brother Orrin had visited him in the hospital. Zenas tells Ann that Orrin has written to Orville’s father to tell him that Orville had died. Zenas is sending the same news to Ann. He, too, complains that Orville did not get adequate care. He does say that he visited the 13th Michigan Infantry in Washington before writing and confirmed that Tip was not there and that he was dead.

Zenas also complains that it has been six weeks since he heard from home and he asks Ann to encourage his friends and family to write.

Ms ——-
Kalamazoo
Mich

May the 23
wall ann I jest got a letter from you and I was glad to hear from you it took the rounds it furst went to the rigment and then to hilton Hed and then here so you see it took the rounds ann I am well at presant but orrin has ben here to see me and glad I was to see him but ann your brother is gon he is dead tip is dead he dide from his wound ann he did not find a Mother nor A fother to take care off him if he had he wood be a live now for his wound want vary bad at first orrin says that tip did come to the rigment and he did stay 3 or 4 days and he got cold in his leg and the infernation infermation sat in and it went to his hed and killed him orrin says he rote to father ann the way orrin heard from tip thare was two ward Masters come to the rigment that was thare and they said he dide before they left So Tip is gone ann as quick as you git this letter let father and mother see it for zene cant rite to them all for my hand ant vary stiday tell father and Mother to right right off to me tell them whare to direck I have rote milisy 2 letters
sence I have ben Here and I hant herd from Home in six weeks wall ann I must close for this time so good by for this time this from your Brother far off

Mrs Anney D d
                                                                                zenns Rhoades (13 Mich
                                                                                dont furget to rite

Ward of Washington D.C.’s Harewood General Hospital in 1864. Harewood opened in September 1862 and closed in May 1866. Courtesy of the Library of Congress.

A loose page that was inside the folded letter* :

Harewood Hospital
2 Batt 656 Co VRC
Washington DC.

this is the direckens for you to direck to Me ann the 13 Mich is here they came last friday I was down to see them to day but ann tip was not thare he was the one I should liked to seen but he is no more it is hard but we cant help it oh dear it dont seme to me as he was dead it semed thought he was in the compney but He was gon ann tell my wife that zene is well and hops she and the children is tell father and Mother to right right off to me tell them whare to direct I Have rote milisy 2 letters sence I Have ben Here and I hant herd from Home in Six Weeks Wall ann I must close for this time so good by for this time this from your Brother far off Mrs amez A I zenns Rhoads (13 mich dont forget to rite

This entry was posted in Harrison DeWaters and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.