Oct. 10, 1863 this morning Gen Custy came into Camp

In September, although his life was far from peaceful, Spence McOmber had time to think about his needs for the coming winter and to prepare an itemized list for his parents.  He would have far less time in October to worry about the coming winter.  It was a difficult month…

Reserv picket post

Oct 10th 63

We are 5 miles beyond Colpeper.

Dear Mother.       I received the other day two letters from home one from you and one from Jane.  which I shall now attempt to answer.  I am well and feel well which is the best of all Soldiering.  The Rebs crossed the river yesterday & drove us in from our picket and last night all night we stood in line to horse and have today until now and now we are in line again.  the 5th Mich had a fight with them last night at James City.  this morning Gen Custy came into Camp.  Oh how we Cheered him.  I can just here our line of Skermishers & judge from it that the Rebs are comeing this way.  I want you to write & tell me if you have received that Check of $35.  which I sent you on the 30th of Sept  the no of the check is 5704 so if it is lost I can recover it as it is in your name.  I have been in on picket over a week and for 5 nights have had little or no sleep.  I can just here our battery as it opens on the Rebs now.  Battery. M. the best battery in the Service.  now Mr Rbs look out.  we will propally see some har sharp work.  I will write some more after this little matter is settled.  Please send more of that seed for lice in you next letter as it is of great value to me.  We have been on picket just on the edge of the river & one night as I was going to relieve a post I met a Reb that had crossed the river and fired at him he ran & crossed the river.  the river is only a branch hardly as large as the Portage  You asked if I was Seargt I am Orderly Sergt for Co. L

This entry was posted in Spencer McOmber. Bookmark the permalink.