November 22, 1863 Major Granger has my bounty

Stephensburg.  Nov 22nd 1863

Dear Mother.  I have just returned to the Reg from Warrington Junction where I was sent with lead horses.  when I got here I found a letter and this morning another with a pin cushion in it & Lillies picture.  I have received $32 of pay & will send $10 Dollars home the rest I must use for I am going to buy me a indian rubber over Coat of the Sutter at $20.  I want you to buy me a very fine pair of buckskin gloves lined with lamb skin & with as long as guantlets as you can find & send me by mail in a little package.  packet as close as posible & send the sissors with them.  I have got the pen which I got of Grandmother but I am afraid that Major Granger has my bounty & fear I shall not get it if I could go to Washington where he is I might perhaps get it but am not sertain.  We are on picket here at the old place Raccoon Ford where the Rebs give us sutch a scare a couple months ago.  Lillies picture looks very natural I wish I could see her and you & all the folks & get something good to eat.  One of these days I guess I will express a hard tack home that has layed out in the rain a hole season been boiled 24 hours & will turn the edge of a knife or hatchet thats the fodder we get in Virginia.  I must write a short letter on account of the money.  So good by write soon.  Sis you write to.  how is Dick Mc?  and Grandfather.

I remain you Aff Son

S.F. McOmber

This entry was posted in Spencer McOmber. Bookmark the permalink.