February 8, 1864 George A. Custer

Stephenesburg  Feb.  [about the 8th]

Dear Mother.

Feb 8 Letter George A. Custer

George A. Custer

It is a long time cince I have heard from home and I thought I would write. I shall send you a photo-graph of Gen Kilpatrick which was taken Standing. The Gen is 28 years old and I suppose you are allready aware of his impet-ious character. also I will send the picture of Gen Custer or the commander of the Tin Shop Brigade. whom you have already seen. he is still younger than Kilpatrick but not quite so furious  Gen Kilpatrick is the commander of this whole Division and he and Gen Custer were old chumbs at West Point. they were both in the mexican war when mere boys. Custer tells a good story about a little scine which happened there. Kil was a Corporal & he was a private so one cold night when it rained when Custer was on Guard. he called on Kilpatrick to stand his post a moment for him on necesity. which Kil did and Custer forgot to come back and the Corporal dare not leave his post to call the next relief so was obliged to stick it through all night. I am now in camp and feeling well should like to be home a little while. We are doing heavy picket duty at present on the Rapidan. Gen Mead & his two daughters came down to my post on the River the other day to take a look at the Johneys. has a couple good looking Gals but cant compare with our Michigan Brunetts. I think of no more at present so good by write soon.

From your Aff Son

Spencer F. McOmber

Curator’s Commentary:
In this curious letter, Spencer sends his mother photographs of Generals Hugh Judson Kilpatrick and George Armstrong Custer. He relates a story that Custer told about how they became friends. Otherwise, he has little news for his mother.

Gen. George Meade, commander of the Army of the Potomac, joined McOmber’s unit while on picket duty. It was probably a quiet day since Meade, the Union commander at Gettysburg the previous year, brought his two daughters with him.

This entry was posted in Spencer McOmber. Bookmark the permalink.