March 11, 1864 Still on picket at Mortons Foard

Mortons Foard March 11th

My Dear Mother.

I take this opertunity to write you. We have heard from the Reg they were at the White House 7 miles from Richmond and we have lost 45 men out of the Reg. Lt Carl of our Co & a capt of Co I & the Lt Col who is killed. The Div is with Kilpatrick the (Cronicle) says now in Washing having returned I hope so. We are on picket still. I am in hast & can rite no more now good by write soon

From S. McOmber

Two miles north Mortons Foard March 19th

Dear Mother. I am still on picket only at an other reserv. our Reg have returned all that are left of them. only 75 men with horses the rest are lost or have gon to Washington to the dismounted camp. we lost our Lt Col at Richmond & our Col has resigned & we have no majors to take command so they have made our Adj. a Major & he is to command the Reg. there are three hundred recruits at Grand Rappids for us & more at Detroit. so that our Reg will be again filled up. but where are those that once filled it. some in Richmond in irons & some are lying under the sod of Virginia. I shall try to stay with the Reg as long as I can. We were startled yesterday by the sight of the Rebels crossing the river. there were about one reg of Inf crossed but we soon drove them back & It has since became still & — evry thing is now quiet. I still think it is unsertain how long we stay here. Old Kil has taken Gregs Division of Cav 4 Reg of Regulars & our Div & has gone off on an other raid. our Reg only sent 75 men. before on the other raid we sent 300 men our Reg suffered the worst as they covered the disasterous retreat. they were attacket in the night & — drove back the rebs but the second time they were drove in. & the rebs had captured & killed most all their horses. but I will write more next time. good by from. Spencer

Curator’s Comments:
Spencer never makes clear why he had to end the first note so abruptly and in both communications he focuses on his regiment, its strength, and sorrows over those comrades who have been taken prisoner or killed. He comments on a couple of minor engagements his regiment has been engaged in.

One assumes that his mother could really learn nothing more from these letters than that Spencer was still alive and probably doing well.

This entry was posted in Spencer McOmber. Bookmark the permalink.