last eavining I spent at the Chaplins house I have got well acquainted with his daughter.

Newark Sept 5th 1864

Dear Mother. this morning I got your letter just as I was ready to send one away so I will answer yours & send both at once. As to my health it is mostly my lungs I doctor. I use tincture of Iron & some other stuff feel a little better this morning. My stomach is out of order all the time. You want to know who gave me my Gold pen & Silver holder. The Dr of this ward did. I write for him some times & we are on the best of terms. The picture frame I have not got yet but I shall buy it for a Dollar when we are paid. We have not mustered yet do not know when we will. Yesterday the Dr’s spent playing cards & smoking so you see they go in for No one 1st.
last eavining I spent at the Chaplins house I have got well acquainted with his daughter. have some fine times there. I play the Gentleman here all the time when I feel able to move about. They say that my transportation money will be taken out of my pay this time. If I am able I shall go on an excurtion tomorrow with the Dr to N. Y. on the steamer Chicopee. The Dr pays the bills I am one of the Guests. I am the only one from this ward that goes with hime. We take ladies with us & go to Coony Island a great Watring & pleasure place. I shall take the Chaplins Daughter  We will have one gay old time. Well that all for the present so good by. From your Aff
Son
S. F. McOmber

Curator’s Comments: Spencer writes this letter just as he receives one from his mother and is preparing to mail his earlier one. So he quickly replies with the intent, apparently, of mailing both letters at once.

He notes that he is still having some health issues with his lungs and stomach and mentions the medications he is taking. He notes that one of the doctors gave him a gold pen. His complaint about the doctors playing cards and smoking while not attending anyone is unclear, though.

His references in earlier letters to visiting the chaplain’s home and borrowing books has also led to a budding friendship with the chaplain’s daughter. Along with a doctor, he is going to take her on a steamship to Coney Island.

This entry was posted in Spencer McOmber. Bookmark the permalink.