I arrived here about 3 hours ago

Newark. N. J. Nov 18th 1864

My Dear Mother.

I arrived here about 3 hours ago & I wil now take time & write back to you. I came through all safe but was laid over 12 hours at Jackson & did not leave there until 6’ oclock in the morning. I found that the Hospital has not been paid off in my absence & that the Pay Master is expected next week. I took a hard cold on the cars comeing through & have coughed considerable this eavning. I came by the way of Buffalo. I had as Company from Jackson Capt Henry. formerly Lieut in Co. M. he was with us at the Rappids. he was wounded at the Battle of Winchester & has his left eye shot out is much better now and just returning from Furlow to the Hospital at Bedlows Island at N.Y. City. he is one of the bravest & best officers in our Reg. he says Lt Mead of my Co was killed at the same battle. I shall not write much tonight as I am very tiard  So excuse my haste and Remember me.

Your Aff son

Spencer

Curator’s Comments: Spencer had hoped for a furlough when he last wrote to his mother. He seems to have been granted one since this note informs his mother he made it back safely to Newark. He met an officer, a Captain Henry, who was formerly in McOmber’s regiment. The Captain had been seriously wounded at the Battle of Winchester in the Shenandoah Valley. He tells Spencer that Lieutenant [Joseph] Mead from McOmber’s Company L of the 7th Michigan Cavalry was killed in that battle on September 13, 1864.

Spencer also reports that he still has a bad cough. Possibly to reassure his mother that he will send her money, he writes that the paymaster had still not been to the hospital and so Spencer hoped to be paid the following week.

This entry was posted in Spencer McOmber and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.