On Our Way!

[Week of July 11, 1909 ]

Sunday 11   Oh how I wish the time would fly fly FLY

Monday 12  Well we’re started  Oh my this is fine  In the afternoon we finished packing & took the train for South Haven  nothing very thrilling happened on the way  Then we took the S.S. Petosky for Chicago, I watched them load the boat and waited until I started before going to bed. We’ve got the dearest! stateroom no. 29.  Aunt Emma Gene and I  I’ve got the upper berth. 

The Great Lakes Steamship "Petosky"

Tuesday 13   I woke up at 2:30 a.m. last night and did not go to sleep after that  my it was beautiful on the lake [i.e., Lake Michigan]  we got into Chicago about 5:00 a.m. and after taking breakfast on the boat went ashore had dinner at Miss Letz and Dr. Speace and got the S.S. Carolina at 2:00 P.M.  got to Milwaukee at 8:00 [at] 10:00 I went to bed              Oh this is Grand!

Wednesday 14   on the boat all day  it is lovely   got acquainted with the two girls at our table. They had a fire drill on the boat and it looked like a fountain. I had a life preserver on, think of that, I wonder if I will ever cross the ocean   I hope so. We go to Escanaba at 10:00 P.M. and went to the hotel Ludington for the night. 

Hotel Ludington in Escanaba, Michigan, 1907

Thursday 15   got up and ate breakfast at to[sic] hotel then go to 6:40 train. had a real funny time getting our dinner at Watersmeet. Got to Hurley at 2:30 P.M. and stayed until 7:20 train for Mellin [in Wisconsin].  We stayed with the Buswell’s for supper and it was a fine one   Jennie wasn’t home.  got out to the Lake about 10:00 p.m.  Oh Joy.

Friday 16  I didn’t get up until after 9 and only had time to play tennis a little and go to meeting this morning  In the afternoon about 12 of us went for a tramp to twin lakes and see two beaver dams and a beaver house. Oliver shot a porcupine and also got me some birch bark and beaver sticks. Sat on the lodge porch in the evening   Look[sic] at back part of book

July 17 Saturday   I eat a tremendous lot but so does every body else. I played tennis a good deal today and went swimming and boating a good deal. In the evening I went rowing with the folks and then we all sat on the porch of the lodge and sang and talked.

This entry was posted in 1909, Claire Wight and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.