A visit to the corset factory

Week of September 12, 1909

Monday 13   School has begun! I went this morning and I had Miss Brown, Miss Larned, Miss Marshall, Mrs. Cole. I did not have to go to school in the afternoon so I went through the Corset factory and they make 8000 doz every day. My it is wonderful to watch them work and there are hundreds of employees. Then part of us went over to the catholic church and went in and saw it   in the evening I read and ruth Bestor and I practiced. 

Inside the Kalamazoo Corset Company, 1910

Tuesday 14  Went to school today  I like all my teachers very much. In the evening I went to the B.Y.P.U. social and business meeting that was held at Mrs. Smith  Esther and I are on the social committee so we went early and made the punch with Smith’s help it was real good. Esther and I had a kind of a funny experience up stairs in the dark  we couldn’t find any light. E & I served the refreshments and I came home with Esther and Harold.

Wednesday 15   Went to school. And my art teacher is very nice  she knows an awful lot and I know I am going to like her very much  after I am home I went over to Rosamonds awhile and we had a lot of fun out in their back yard   then I came home and played croquet and had a lot of fun.  In the evening Papa and I played checkers and he always beats me fearfully  then Ruth Bestor played against him and he beat her just as bad.

Thursday 16   OO*  Went to school I think geometry is awfully funny  I wonder if I will ever be able to understand and do it. After school Esther came up and we studied Latin  my but we worked.  Then she stayed to supper and in the evening I played checkers and beat Ruth one game and she beat 3 or 4  I don’t know which    I am just crazy to be an artist  I wonder if I ever will be one. I hope I can go away to an art school sometime.

*OO indicates school

Friday 17   OO I had the hickups[sic] in school today  Oh it was funny!  Esther sits in back of me  isn’t that nice and Leota in front. After school I went to W.I.C. at Laura Smith’s and Vera Perry and Ruth Martin joined today   we are planning a penny social. And I think it will be great. In the evening Ruth Bestor and I went up to Esther DeWaters to borrow the “Little Colonel’s Maid of Honor.”

The building on the right has the cupola on top where Claire and her friends left their mark.

Saturday 18  In the morning I worked and we had a Miss Chapman & Miss Kapin and Mrs. Dr. Stetson over to Luncheon.  In the afternoon Esther and I went over to Mrs. Oakleys  she entertained the S.S. class. Then we stoped[sic] at the Old College building and went way up in the cupulo and wrote our names on the Wall  the wall is just covered with names & I found James Buswell March 15 1904 written in one place.

This entry was posted in 1909, Claire Wight and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.