The House Party

[Post for July 12-13, 1911]

Wed. July 12, 1911
Nothing especially different has happened. My dress is done!! My but I’m glad!! I went down town this afternoon and bought me a pink ribbon for my hair. Edna has fixed my hair a new way and its real fashionable & becoming   I wrote two letters this afternoon one to May & one to Oliver. This evening I beat James three sets at tennis easily 6-1, 6-0, 6-3. Then I took my mandolin out in the hammock and played and played and then played some more. Coyla* is certainly the limit. Her gentlemen callers staid[sic] until after 12 last night and they made such a racket I could scarcely get to sleep! She went away on the train today and I haven’t meet[sic] her yet thank goodness.

*It’s believed that Coyla was a renter in the Wight house.

Thurs. July 13, 1911
Well we found out that Will had kept on asking more & more [to the house party] until there were about 16 invited. Well we got the lemon cream & nabiscoes ready and the house cleaned & games ready. We had the track meet and illustrated proverbs and lots of games & things. Well there were 14 here and they were the swellest folks in town  mercy I was scared to entertain without Edna. I guess they all had a good time, but what they thought of Bill & I is more than I know. I had such a funny experience with a clerk in a drug store this morning.  When I was buying some pencils and behold the clerk is Walter Delanoe who’s father is president of the bank here & he was one of the guests tonight and I had him for my partner in “proverbs.” Then there was Margaret and Vera Delanoe and Hiram Delanoe all cousins of Walter. Then there was Marian Martindale and her brother who are fearfully stylish they live in California in the Winter generally and she is very exclusive  goes with the swellest set in Kalamazoo. Mr. Eddy is a fine looking boy who is real rich & runs his own auto etc. etc.  John Linsay was up  he is perfectly grand. Then Mr. Easton the crack tennis player  My! but he’s handsome. Miss Collins was a dear quiet sort of a girl  I liked her real well. My sakes they all live in swell houses & have servants & auto’s  I wonder what they thought of the whole thing anyway.  I guess they never went to anything quite so imformal[sic]!

This entry was posted in 1911, Claire Wight and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.