July 24 & 25, 1913

Thurs. July 24, 1913

This P.M. I heard Mr. McNutt, the dinner pail man, lecture and I think it was the finest lecture I ever heard. Ever sentence seemed full of some big truth and his plea to give the children a chance was excellent he has a humor that is to the point and his personal knowledge of the laboring man’s struggles and the cause of the crime and reform school make his words full of power and influence. His idea is to unlock the soul by the boy and to give the Royal Honey to the brother in need. So act the friend of the downhearted. Oh there were so many things that he said that I wish I could write in here. This evening I heard a quartette [sic] from the Redpath grand Opera Co. They gave a “Lovers Quarrel” which was a clever piece in light comedy but Ralph & I both noticed how unadaptabile [sic] the English language seemed for it. I feel that if it had been sung in French it would have sounded better though of course that’s just my notion Then they have a programme [sic] I liked “The Rosary” about the best of anytime I’ve ever heard it and when the Bass sang about “a man with a big Bass Viol [sic]” it was especially fine.

Fri. July 25, 1913

Oh this has been a wonderful day. This P.M. I heard the finest reader in America give “The World and his Wife” a dramatic tragedy it was wonderful, I just sat spellbound and I shook no part of the time. Why I don’t believe I was ever keyed up to such a tension before. Oh when she impersonated gossip why that leering insinuating look made you feel as if a great monster had pounced upon you and you were being choaked [sic]. The tragical climax was so realistic that the audience just sat in a death like hush I felt lost till finally someone started to clap and I slowly came to my senses. After it was over Elizabeth Stetson and I were walking home still with the spell of the mighty truths of the piece upon us when we overheard this very edifying conversation of two ladies in front of us, 1st woman “How did you like the entertainment anyway?” Second woman “Oh I’d have like it real well if he hadn’t have died!”  Well I looked at Elizabeth & she at me and we both burst out laughing, if we hadn’t have seen the comical side of the statement I scarcely know what awful deed I might have done to that woman. This evening Ralph & I heard a debate in socilism [sic] more strongly than ever the debate was certainly interesting as you can imagine from the two such powerful speakers but Bede carried the audience by his plain blunt language.

This entry was posted in 1913, Claire Wight and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.