Sept. 12 & 13, 1913

Fri. September 12, 1913

Well David is back so this P.M. we practiced for tomorrow but we both feel that they are working a kind of a trick on us by not letting us know until so late while the other team have been practicing every day for a week in anticipation of it. It certainly looks queer. It made David and I so angry that we have vowed to win anyway. I beat “Nick” Worth a set of singles today which made me feel pretty good oh I only hope I can win tomorrow. Oh Diary will I be sad or joyful tomorrow night? This evening Evelyn Clair and I sang an [sic] played and Helen Merchant came to town today to see about a room and surprised me. She missed her train back so is here for alnight [sic] I’m thankful to say.

Sat. September 13, 1913

Well we lost today in mixed doubles but somehow I don’t feel especially sad. It was a very close match and there is no excuse for our not winning we all supposed we were to play two out of three and im the middle of the tournament Bud Snook informed us we had to play 3 out of 5. I had partialled [she may mean “parceled”] out my strength among the first and we won 2 out of 3 but on the last two sets I went down some & I think David wasn’t playing quite as well as usual so we lost score 6-4, 4-6, 6-0, 1-6, 5-7. Miss Gregg was so exhausted that she said she could not play the singles today so rather than take the cup by default I decided to wait till next Saturday afternoon. Edna & James came over from Otsego. David said maby [sic] it was a good thing for us to be beaten, you see we never have been beatin [sic] before.

This entry was posted in 1913, Claire Wight and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.