Friday, Oct. 31, 1913

Fri. October 31, 1913

OO After labatory [sic] this P.M. I rushed up to Esther’s to read over our Debate and then hurried home to make notes and try to wander through my speech. Well when we got up there we heard the astounding news that we could only speak three minutes with 5 min. for the chiefs  So of course none of us had time enough to even get started on our subjects. Well the debate was going along calmly with scarcely a wripple [sic] of excitement till I got up then the opponent [sic] speaker just before me had gone on to prove what a benifit [sic] greed was to modern civilization by giving archetecture [sic] and the wonderfully wrought pilars [sic] with capitals etc then the sculpture of Greece so I arose and began “Pilars! [sic] Pillars! We have four on our porch and what would I do without them!” Then, as  our two busts were siting [sic] on the floor in a corner to make room for our debating tables, I said “and there in the floor is Greecian[sic] sculpture with Roman law its here enthroned” (with a wave at the Chairman of the evening)

Then I went on and everbody[sic] sat there looking as if they didn’t know what minute I was going to pop at them. And laugh! I got everybody in a fine humor   I didn’t have time to prove much. And when they knocked the gavel I turned and said “I’ll take miss DeWaters other 3 minutes” and kept on. Well when Prof. Dogestan got up to criticise[sic] he talked mildly about the others but when he came to me he went to both extremes he criticised [sic] me so that I fairly blushed about the way I hadn’t paid proper respect to the chairman and had used more than my time and assailed my opponents. Then he said to the other girls “But you sat there and took it as meek as moses.” Then he said the [i.e., that] I had the best piece of work of them all and it was the most logically worked out and he admired my enthusiasm After the meeting he told me personally that I had stuff for a fine girl debater! What do you think of that  I was literally surprised

This entry was posted in 1913, Claire Wight and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.