Nov. 1 & 2, 1913

Sat. November 1, 1913

OO After dinner we practiced our stunt for next Wednesday night then I went to the ball game between Olivet and K.C. we got beaten 26-0 but it was a good game and I don’t consider that a very bad goal considering the score Olivet has beaten the other schools by. After the game I helped decorate for the party and we certainly made it look pretty. With cats & witches and bats flying from the chandelier and pined [sic] on the walls. It’s a sure proof they were liked for there was a mad scramble for them towards the end of the evening. The stunts were clever the faculty stunt was the funniest thing I ever saw  They imitated a foot ball game all the faculty men were dressed up in football suits with patches pasted on there[sic] faces and oh it was certainly comical they went through the formations and tackled   it was so funny   we all laughed till we cried   the wives of the faculty were on the side lines and cheered and hugged each other they were dressed in sweaters and funny hats and coats  Oh it was rediculous![sic] Pat and Tuffy and all of them looked so funny then at the last they kicked the football out over the audience, it burst and an enormous shower of orange & black confette[sic]. The Freshmen Stunt was a sufferagette[sic] meeting  it was very funny Dorothy Bowen sang the funniest solo. And Bill Taylor came in wheeling a baby carriage oh I laughed and laughed at the whole performance. The Sophs gave a short play that I didn’t think was very appropriate. Then the Juniors gave a witch scene about a caldron with flames of alcohol and salts with colored electric lights in the mixture it was very pretty and weird. The Seniors served refreshments and Paul Schalkelton and I had piles of fun  we had a tug of war with a strip of cloth I had there and afterwards we used it for a tablecloth.

Sun. November 2, 1913

Deacon Piper was buried today It makes me feel badly to think he is gone I loved him so. It won’t be long before all the old soldiers are gone then we won’t here[sic] anymore war stories. I don’t know of anyone who didn’t love him who knew him.  This morning his two grandchildren sat with me in church and they talked so inocently[sic] of him it seemed to[sic] bad to think that they would have to learn of the sorrows of life.

This P.M. Ralph and I went for a walk East of town. Ralph had the hiccups from some savor he drank in the cider last night. I laughed and laughed and said he was a regular old taker etc. I hurt him though!  He didn’t dare go to church for fear they would start up so we came home and talked He gave me a nice box of chocolates tonight.

I wonder where papa is tonight.

This entry was posted in 1913, 1913, Claire Wight and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.