Feb. 14 & 15, 1914

Saturday 14

Well this is Saturday and I have accomplished absolutely nothing all day. I am so tired and lame (from gym I guess) that my brain just wont[sic] work and I don’t seem to be able to study. I didn’t get up in time to go to German class so I fooled around all day and didn’t study. George Butler called me up long distance from Battle Creek to see if Helen was going to be here over Sunday so I fixed it for them and I guess if all went well he’s down there to see her tonight. I wonder if they will get married? I think they would be happy together.

This P.M. a box of beautiful immense sweet violets and maiden hair fern came up for me oh I like flowers. And Ralph was grand to send them

Sunday 15

Went to church and S. S. This P.M. Ben Wheatley came to Kazoo to see me he was here from about 2:00 to 5:00 then he had to hurry to catch his train. He had been over to Albion to the Earlham dabate[sic] Oh he sang and sang for me and somehow I liked him better today than I have before but spare me from falling in love with him because he’s so popular with the girls that I doubt if he ever marries though if he does finally settle down I’d be crazy to see the girl he would pick out I can’t imagine what she would be like. And as for me well somehow I fear I will never see the boy I can fall dead in love with my it must be a  queer feeling! Diary I just can’t imagine myself married to anyone.

Well between when Ben left and Ralph came I wrote a letter to Papa I wonder if I will be living in California next year?

Well Ralph came and we went down to the Academy of Music to hear Mr. Drum the evangelist speak on the subject “Who is an Honest Man?” it was the finest sermon or talk that I have ever heard I do believe   oh it was all so true and good and impressive and convincing I can’t write hear[sic] the things he said but I don’t believe I shall ever forget what he said and how he made me understand and feel my relation to God and man and my position as a Christian. He showed us how we can’t be saved by our own selfrighteousness and also that it was ridiculous to refuse religion because we couldn’t understand all its mysteries. Nothing could have answered Ralph’s arguments better nor have clear[ed] away his fog of doubt and indecision and when the cards were passed I am sure he wanted to have Christ for his master and Lord. and oh I am so glad because I know that when Ralph takes such a stand he will stand by it for he is a man of decision and will. We had a fine talk on the way home about sacred things and I feel so new and happy that he is a Christian. I told him I like him better tonight than I ever had before on account of it. I only hope he will join the church.

This entry was posted in 1914, Claire Wight and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.