Tues., April 28, 1914

Tues. April 28, 1914

Tetrazzini

Oh diary I never heard real singing before tonight  You know diary I have read about her and looked forward so much and imagined how fine it would be for so long that I was afraid I would be dissappointed[sic] but it was far beyond any dream I have had. Well the armory was crowded packed almost there were about ______ people there. I had a good seat and was blissfully happy. Her accompaniest[sic] and Painist Yves Nat was the finest pianist that I have ever heard. And the flute player surpassed any such playing I had ever heard. The tenor Rafael Diaz was fine too. They all received many enchores[sic] and hand clapping BUT everyone of them paled into insinificance[sic] besides the Prima Donna. She just held her audience spell bound as her wonderful voice ranged from low C to E flat three octaves up.  such trills and runs and sustained notes and echoes harmonics etc I never have heard. Oh I could scarcely move while she was singing and when as enchores[sic] she sang “Home Sweet Home” and “Last Rose of Summer” Why she made songs out by them so that I will never forget them as sung that way. She also sang the enchore[sic] “Somewhere a voice is Calling.” The beauty of it was that when she began to sing you forgot her and just listened to the wonderful melody.

Luise Tetrazzini, 1914. Source: Library of Congress

Luise Tetrazzini, 1914.                     Source: Library of Congress

She was beautifully dressed in blue satin and lace and sparkling gems and her train and high heeled blue satin slippers she managed beautifully. She carried her score with her but I never noticed it after she began to sing  it seems sort of uncanny to me. Her personality was very winning, she was so merry (almost jolly you might say) and in her recognition time after time of the applause she kept so on a level with the audience that I just fell in love with her personally  she seems so unconscious of her greatness  Why once while she was singing in an interlude she smiled then mimicked signs of distress at the oppressive heat of the room. At another time she watched a moth flit about while she sang seemingly utterly unconscious of any worry for fear she would miss a note or anything.  Oh diary this has been one of the big things of my life, I was so glad I could go!

This entry was posted in 1914, Claire Wight and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.