June 27 & 28, 1914

Sat. June 27, 1914

It thundered and lighteninged[sic] so hard last night that I was awake a good deal so I slept late this morning well when I finally got around I read history most of the morning and afternoon.  It is very interesting all about those olden kings and the early history of European countries  I never imagined I would like it so well. About 4:00 o’clock papa and I went over to the tennis courts and though papa hasn’t played for two or three years we got along very nicely playing doubles against Ralph Ralston and Edward Hartwell  we beat them a couple of sets or more then Papa & I lost to Dave Polasky & Ralph Ralston 6-4.  Then Papa went home & Ralph Ralston & I played against Rev. Merrill and another man (I’ve forgotten his name) who were both fine players well they won 6-4, 2-6, 6-2 then Ralph went and they won from me 7-5  my but it was exciting. Tonight a  b-e-a-u-t-i-full[sic] bunch of ferns and pink rose buds came up from the florist’s for me  no name or card but I know they are from dear old Ralph   I can’t [bear?] to have him send flowers that way  it makes me feel so sorry for him and it makes me want to see him.

Sun. June 28, 1914

Went to church and S.S.  My boys were so excited about the circus that’s coming Wednesday that it was hard to teach them the lesson.

This afternoon I read Tennyson’s “Princers” and the tribute to a mother in the last few pages impressed me very much. There are many fine thoughs[sic] and good similies[sic] in the book and so of those I liked the best I underscored.

This evening we all went to the mission to hear papa   the meeting seemed full of power and there was a good audience there. I wore one of Ralph’s roses tonight and as I was walking up N. Burdick St. after meeting with Aunt Emma & Gene we happened to pass him but I don’t suppose he saw the rose. If he did see it I hope it comforted him for he doesn’t seem happy. But diary I’m more convinced than ever that I don’t love him  I scarcely can tell you why.

This entry was posted in 1914, Claire Wight and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.