Sept. 1 & 2, 1914

Tues. Sept. 1, 1914

This morning I played and finished my embroidered Boudoir cap while Helen cut out and baisted[sic] a couple of waists. This P.M. I took my history and went up in the butter nut tree again  its just lovely up there.  And the dearest little squirl[sic] came and scolded me.

I was impressed by the discrimination which cows use in eating  I watched a big jersey cow below me nosing along and she would avoid all the little weeds and it’s a puzzle to me how she could see them when they were beneath her big flat nose.

Tonight Helen & I took the horse & buggy and started out to buy up the eggs at the different farm houses and of all the excitement!! You know there was the most terrible rain, thunder & lightning storm they have had for thirty years and today there were washouts etc. Well we started for the eggs and we had to drive about four miles out of our way to avoid a cross road that was buried in water & had a bridge washed out. Then of all the gullies & ruts & precipices we galloped over with two cases of eggs was something terrific. Then Fidinger got into a fight with a couple of cats and we ran over Mrs Hewit’s toe. Oh all told it was quite a thrilling trip.

Mrs. Hewit is deaf and talks something like Helen Keller   it gives Helen the jimjams [3-dot triangle symbol]

Wed. Sept. 2, 1914

This morning I never got up until after ten o’clock then all day I helped Helen, wash, sort, gather, box, seal and pack eggs  we fixed 150 dozen!! Oh I wish I was in the chicken business   I hope I may own a chicken farm sometime before I die. Oh I eat so many plums & watermellons[sic] and ears of sweet corn its just shocking!! We got the Y.W.C.A. cabinet round robin today and it never struck me so forcibly before how a persons characteristics and “symptoms” are portrayed in a letter.

Old “uncle Ike” is a typical old soldier with his badge, old hat, long white hair, and old violin  he just loves to sit and fiddle. His son-in-law in Nebraska owns 4000 acres just think of that.

This entry was posted in 1914, Claire Wight and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.