A.M. Todd Collection
One of the Museum’s treasures is the collection of Albert M. Todd. Todd made this donation with the understanding that the Kalamazoo School Board would acquire and open a public museum. In 1927, the former home of Horace B. Peck, located at the corner of Rose and South Streets, was purchased by the School Board and became the first official public museum in Kalamazoo.
Albert M. Todd (1850 – 1931), known as “The Peppermint King,” founded the A.M. Todd Company, a leading producer of mint oil. He used his fortune to collect art, antiquities, decorative objects, and books. Once or twice a year he opened his offices at the company to allow the public to view his private collection.
In his will, Todd left a legacy for educational institutions in Kalamazoo. The artifacts he donated to the Kalamazoo Museum (today the Kalamazoo Valley Museum) are the foundations of its collection. His generosity reflected a personal philosophy of service to the community.